What to do with a stray
Home Fur Good's focus is to save animals off of the euthanasia
list at Maricopa County Animal Care & Control (MCACC) and
Arizona Humane Society. These animals only have days, sometimes
hours, to live so they must be our priority. If you find a stray
animal please try some of the tips listed below. You can contact us
but our ability to help will likely be limited.
- Take the animal to your local vet to have it scanned for a
micro-chip. If they find a micro-chip they will be able to help you
with the process to contact the owner.
- Post flyers in the neighborhood where the pet was lost. Ask
elementary schools in your area if you can post a flyer - kids
often notice animals. You can also post them at dog parks, vet
offices, pet groomers, and pet stores in the area.
- Talk to your neighbors, letter carrier, landscapers, pool
cleaners, paper deliverers, irrigation servicers, and anyone else
that is regularly in the area.
- Post ads on www.pets911.com, phoenix.craigslist.org, www.ebayclassifieds.com and www.petfinder.com
- Post an ad in local newspapers. Many offer free ads for found
Please try to house the animal while you try to find his/her
home. MCACC and AZ Humane are overpopulated and if you turn the
animal in to one of those locations their time is likely limited.
Keep the animal separated from your pets to prevent spreading of
diseases or injuries from conflicts.
This sounds like a lot of work but wouldn't you hope that
someone would do the same if they found one of your furry children?
Seeing a family and pet reunited makes it all worth it.